TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Daddy Knows Best: Maria back with Papa Yuri after split from Connors

View Single Post

Old Aug 19th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #61
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Independent Woman: Maria Coachless At The US Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Quite possibly, Maria does seem like someone who might be motivated by "tough love" to an extent, but I always just got the vibe that the dynamic of their relationship had become unhealthy (as most relationships between a parent-coach and player do on the WTA).
They have probably both grown up a fair bit in that time, it's difficult to guess what their dynamic will be like now. Yuri certainly seems to have mellowed out from what I have seen, and when we have heard of his involvement in coaching in recent times (like the rain delay phone call at last year's USO), his influence was postitive.

Either way, I'm fairly certain this is just a temporary fix. The only way I can see Yuri staying on is if Maria does exceptionally well. Have to bear in mind that Maria has always said her father wanted to find expertise for Maria, rather than trying to apply it himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobruiz View Post
I don't remember Yuri ever saying Maria couldn't beat Justine and, for that matter, I just do not believe he would ever tell Joyce that Maria flat out could not beat Serena. Yuri is not like that.
Yeah I was just imagining if he had... I don't think Yuri is like that either.