TennisForum.com - View Single Post - US Open 2013: hashtag slam number 5

View Single Post

Old Aug 16th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #49
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US Open 2013: hashtag slam number 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
You don't understand the hysteria when she's won 1 match in nearly 3 months and has played two of her worst matches in years back to back? This forum often overreacts, but I don't think is an occasion where it's fair to say that.

The main thing is, Maria relies on having her focus at 100% for her to do well. Therefore, even IF she started hitting the ball amazingly in practice over the next couple of weeks (which itself is a huge "if"), then I STILL wouldn't fancy her chances, with all this turmoil and instability behind the scenes probably meaning she wouldn't be mentally 100% at crunch time.
Not really, no. I get the Wimbledon match and hysteria. Yeah that was a shocker. But we haven't seen a match like that from her in years. This season has been fantastic up until that point. Tbh, I don't read much into the Sloane match at all. In excess of 60 UEs and I largely attribute it to lack of match-play and possible lack of solidity in coaching structure. Yeah she lost her last two matches in poor fashion...but the problem is she hasn't played tournaments.

I don't quite understand why people think she's done and a large cohort suddenly think she's forgotten how to play tennis The Wimbledon match was poor but I sure as hell could tell why she lost that match by watching how tentative she was on an unstable surface against an inspired opponent. We then had no match-play for several months, a coaching change, and a return against an opponent (who is far from a scrub) that she has played 3 times already this season. It was never going to be an easy match. If you get 3 bites at the cherry in one season, you are bound to improve and learn exponentially. In saying that, >60 UEs is a blaring indicator of lack of match practice and she went for too much in the moment.

Had she have been fit enough to play a conventional schedule after Wimbledon we wouldn't be seeing such an overreaction in terms of performance. The coaching arrangement and mishaps have just exponentially magnified the entire situation which is unfortunate.

And I personally think that focus is the one thing you don't have to dispute in terms of her USO campaign. She has beaten the lack of match practice issue in the past so hopefully she can pull something together in time for the USO. I do think it was the right decision not to play New Haven...if she did play New Haven she could have withdrawn in the QF or something but I am not a fan of that from players anyway.
Lachy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote