TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Cincinnati 2013: Hardcourt Struggle Tennis

View Single Post

Old Aug 8th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #10
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cincinnati 2013: Hardcourt Glory, Hallelujah! Hardcourt Glory In The Queen City!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny5576 View Post
Do not expect too much. First tournament after nearly 2 months out usually means rusty play. The most important is to test the new things which Jimmy introduced.
I agree with that. I just want her to get 3 or 4 solid matches in, working on her timing, working on her rhythm, and getting mentally locked in to playing competitive tennis again. If she looks relatively good and makes a deep run, that's a bonus. Maria gets a free pass in this tournament, no matter what happens. I think it's best to wait until New York to really critique her form. I know Maria will be playing Cincy to win, but I consider it a practice run.

I realize it's 2 different situations, 2 different players, comparing Maria to someone else, but look at Vika in Carlsbad. Even though she made the final, she looked awful in those last 2 matches against Ivanovic and Stosur. Serve was off, groundstrokes were off, timing was off, tons of errors, very few winners, and she looked 2 or 3 steps too slow. Not surprising after an injury and long lay-off for a player. And then she said her ankle was still an issue and she withdrew from Toronto as a precaution.

So, for Maria, I just want her to get out of Cincy with her health and more confidence in her game heading into the US Open. Some rough play will be expected and acceptable.
Mexicola is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote