TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Evolution of Maria's Game - 2004-2013

View Single Post

Old Aug 5th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #19
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future
Re: Evolution of Maria's Game - 2004-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny5576 View Post
You can laugh as much as you like. It will not change the facts. The speed of the serve is not matter of an opinion, so it is clear you are not aware of the numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny5576 View Post
When we talk about the comparison of Maria model 2012 - 2013 to Maria models 2004 - 2008 we should consider the best form of Maria, not her not so good matches.
It is not possible to prove who will win Maria 2012-2013 or Maria 20004-2008 and therefore it is meaningless to argue. My opinion is based on the comparison of the basic parameters of Maria's game for which there is a data.
I don't think it's all that. For eg, I'm sure she has many more aces and a higher 1st AND 2nd serve winning % during the US Summer HC and fall 2006. It's not always the speed, she used to have incredible serve placement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Croft View Post
'Lack of success on hardcourts in recent years.'

... wait... what?!?
Measuring her level of success to winning slams I guess. So we can also address Martha's complete collapse of form on grass courts bar Wimbledon 2011 and Olympics fluke

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
the only versions of pre-shoulder injury Maria who would beat the current Pova would be late 2006 one and obviously the early 2008 one. I'm not sure about lanky teen Maria from 2004, since she was still 2 inches shorter and her game was made for success on grass back then. Current Maria is much more physically stronger and more consistent too.
I don't buy that Martha now would get killed by pre-surgery Pova though, or vice-versa. Martha is no doubt a more complete player now. She was definitely mentally stronger and instinctive with her game then, but with more rough edges. It'll be compelling for sure but I don't see an absolute case for either.
domon17th is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote