TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

View Single Post

Old Jul 30th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #2788
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Tennis
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Saturday, July 30, 1988
The Associated Press

Shutout For Graf

HAMBURG, West Germany - Steffi Graf of West Germany beat Italy's Raffaella Reggi 6-0, 6-0 and advanced to the semifinals of the $200,000 Virginia Slims of Hamburg.

Graf, who won her first Wimbledon title earlier this month, bounced back after a poor showing in her victory Thursday over Yugoslavia's Sabrina Goles.

"I'm much happier," Graf said. "My play was much, much better today. It's more important to me how I play, the result takes second place."

In other matches, Katerina Maleeva of Bulgaria beat West Germany's Isabel Cueto 6-2, 7-6, Radka Zubrakova of Czechoslovakia beat West Germany's Silke Meier 6-2, 6-1, and Bettina Fulco of Argentina beat Italy's Sandra Cecchini 7-5, 6-1.

Agassi has close call

STRATTON MOUNTAIN, Vt. - Second-seeded Andre Agassi survived a second-set power failure and defeated No. 10 Jay Berger 6-1, 1-6, 6-3 Friday in the quarterfinals of the $601,500 Volvo International Tennis Tournament.

Agassi, the top-ranked American in the world (No. 5 overall), will face 12th-seeded Dan Goldie in one semifinal today. Goldie outlasted 17-year-old Jim Courier 6-4, 4-6, 6-4.

The other two quarterfinals also went three sets. Ninth-seeded Darren Cahill of Australia eliminated Roger Smith of the Bahamas 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 and Paul Annacone, the 13th seed, outlasted Marty Davis 6-4, 4-6, 7-5.

Agassi, who has won four tournaments and $401,000 this year, won the first four games of the match behind a smashing forehand that had Berger out of position for much of the set.

He started the second set the same way, with a forehand winner and an ace to win the first game. But then, his shots suddenly lost their zip and Berger, ranked 21st in the world, dominated the rest of the set, winning the next six games, including two breaks when Agassi double-faulted away his serve.

"I actually felt strong in the second set, but I let it slip away," said Agassi, who blamed a lack of concentration. "I thought it was going to go the same way, especially after I won the first game."
Ms. Anthropic is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote