TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

View Single Post

Old Jul 30th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #2786
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
I had alreay heard about this 88 hamburg tournament and the refund incident, but not in details (so THANK YOU).
Still thought they wanted refund because the match was too quick
But actually no, how coherent are they ? 1st day they complain because they want to see a match no execution, and then the next day they complain because there is no execution
Well, expecting most people to act rationally is an irrational expectation. Steffi learns this lesson from this tournament, because the "best" is yet to come. What happens after the final is a "classic." I see Pooley has it on offer. If it contains the post-match speeches, I'm getting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
Strange, strange, never really saw a lot of Steffi's matches at Hamburg (appart that wonderfull 91final and 92 one vs Sanchez I think), but quite all her matches at Berlin (love this tournament!), the crowd seemed to have something against her, or is it me ?
And what happened in 1987 (She's speaking about the year before in your article) ?
The 1987 Hamburg tournament lost two whole days to rain, which of course hurt attendance (only 40,000 -- although that isn't bad for the circumstances) and annoyed most of the players. Something like they didn't even have the round of 32 finished or the doubles started on the day they should have played the quarterfinals. And then Claudia Kohde-Kilsch and Bettina Bunge lost early to "nobodies." With not much else to do, the press and paparazzi got a little obnoxious with Steffi, who was apparently in a grumpy mood to begin with, and she didn't tolerate being followed around.

I guess it turned into a "Everything is your fault, Steffi!" -- "What do you want me to do about the weather and the other Germans losing?" -- "Put on more of show for us, Steffi!" -- "Are you guys for real?" -- "The men's tournament is better, Steffi!" -- "Why do I even try?" argument.

Last edited by Ms. Anthropic : Jul 30th, 2013 at 01:10 AM.
Ms. Anthropic is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote