TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Toronto 2013: About time to finally grab the glass racket, eh? - She withdrew! :(

View Single Post

Old Jul 26th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #82
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Toronto 2013: About time to finally grab the glass racket, eh? (SharaConnors Chap

Quote:
Originally Posted by !VamosRafa! View Post
Are you on drugs again?

Their head to head is close, but Azarenka is a horrible match up for Maria. Azarenka believes she can beat anyone (and she can), even Serena.

They are pretty equal at the moment, but Azarenka is the tougher player mentally.

While this is another slamless year of Maria, Azarenka has managed to defend the AO and win her 2nd Slam (and will be the favorite at the USO if Serena loses early) so I doubt she is worrying about Maria
How exactly is this a horrible match up for Maria? When I hear "bad match up" discussed when concerning Maria, I think of a situation where even if Maria plays well against a certain opponent, she still needs help in winning or it's an opponent that she always struggles against. So, using that criteria, Serena Williams is a REALLY bad match up for Maria, as we all know. No matter what Maria does, it's a huge uphill battle.

But that's not even close to being the case with Vika. If Maria plays well, close to her capability, then Azarenka loses, pure and simple. Unlike against Serena, Maria can dominate Vika anywhere on any surface. Vika is the one that needs help in their matches. She's the one that needs a subpar Maria, making errors, not serving well, and looking a step slow. Maria, on the other hand, doesn't need a lousy Vika to show up to win. Azarenka didn't play that badly in Stuttgart, Istanbul, or Roland Garros. Maria was just better than her and imposed her will because she's more talented. Vika doesn't scare Maria at all. She respects her, but she loves facing her and relishes beating her. She wants to crush her so badly, that's why you see her get tight and error-prone sometimes in their matches.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote