TennisForum.com - View Single Post - putin is bat#### crazy-could affect olympics

View Single Post

Old Jul 25th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #14
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: putin is bat#### crazy-could affect olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
Maria has been so much looking forward to Sochi ever since they won the bid and I don't think any comments or threats against any group will keep her from proudly representing her country and being there in person. She altered her schedule just for this event. Putin may be the leader but he doesn't speak for all of Russia and if Maria wanted to weigh in on this, I think she would without concern.

If she did decide to voice her disapproval of Russia's attitude towards gays, as powerful and famous as Maria is, Putin wouldn't dare do anything to condemn her, unless he wants an even worse PR nightmare dropped on his head.

It's hard to say if this story will lead to any significant impact. I know there were human rights groups speaking out about boycotts of Beijing because of China's policies, but nothing really came of it and the Olympics were a big success. At this point, I'm probably still more concerned about the potential of Chechen militants disrupting things.
I appreciate your post....it gives me a clearer perspective. There are those who point out that this is mainly a distraction for the people, because he is screwing up a lot of other things. I can see the logic of Maria staying out of this.....I believe the retired players in the media are in a better position to say what things need to be said.

I do not rule out the possibility that sometime in Maria's life, she will be a significant voice regarding things not related to tennis. She is a very smart woman.