TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Maria and Thomas go seperate ways

View Single Post

Old Jul 16th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #242
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maria and Thomas go seperate ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
That's exactly the point: the fact he couldn't coach Roddick to success makes the stakes even higher for him this time. That took some of the luster off Connors and arguably harmed his "credibility" in the tennis world. And his credibility will take an even bigger hit if he fails again, and with a woman to boot (we all know it's the horrible reality that a great male athlete coaching a woman has a big stigma). It's a lot safer for him at this point in his career to just stay safely in retirement, as that way his abilities are never questioned and people just remember him for the great player he was; by going into coaching, he has the chance of getting a big reward (another taste of glory by p.roxy, like Lendl's getting, if he can coach Maria to more Slam titles) but also comes with the risk of being judged as a failure if he can't do it.
While we disagree on the amount of risk being laid on Connors with his new job, I agree that the potential reward that can be gained if he's somehow successful is astronomical. Just one more major for Maria and his tennis legend will grow exponentially.

Getting back to the risk issue, I also think that Connors sees Maria as an already established proven champion, with multiple slams so he only needs to tweak a little here or there and her game won't require any major reconstruction. This is Sharapova we're talking about, not Woz or Ivanovic. She's a "safe" choice. He isn't starting from scratch, so I believe he sees low risk, high reward with her.

As far as the debunked Woz/Thomas pairing, I'm happy to hear that. I want to believe that Maria and Thomas remain really good friends and parted on good terms.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote