TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Maria and Thomas go seperate ways

View Single Post

Old Jul 16th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #238
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maria and Thomas go seperate ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
Would it really be that much of a risk for Connors at this point in his career? At his age and little success and experience as a coach, it's not like tennis players were banging down his door asking him to coach. He could view this as his last great chance to get into the spotlight and be a part of tennis one last time, coaching one of the biggest stars ever. What reputation does he have? No matter what happens with Maria, he'll still be considered an all-time great player. And he never brought success to Roddick, so it's not like his coaching prowess is revered and he's putting it on the line handling a female player.

I don't think he has anything to lose at all here. Whether he lasts 6 months, a year, or whatever, I think he's going to enjoy being relevant again. It won't dent his family life much, I don't think. Maria is the one with everything at stake in this partnership.
That's exactly the point: the fact he couldn't coach Roddick to success makes the stakes even higher for him this time. That took some of the luster off Connors and arguably harmed his "credibility" in the tennis world. And his credibility will take an even bigger hit if he fails again, and with a woman to boot (we all know it's the horrible reality that a great male athlete coaching a woman has a big stigma). It's a lot safer for him at this point in his career to just stay safely in retirement, as that way his abilities are never questioned and people just remember him for the great player he was; by going into coaching, he has the chance of getting a big reward (another taste of glory by p.roxy, like Lendl's getting, if he can coach Maria to more Slam titles) but also comes with the risk of being judged as a failure if he can't do it.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote