TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Maria and Thomas go seperate ways

View Single Post

Old Jul 16th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #226
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maria and Thomas go seperate ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Well of course you would

I find it hard to believe Connors would even be willing to suddenly decide to be her coach with just a few days' notice. I mean, this is someone who is retired and has been happily just having a "family life" in recent years -- so by coaching Maria he was committing himself to a major lifestyle change, which ANYONE would want to take quite a bit of time to consider. Add into that the fact that, as I was saying in the GM thread, coaching a woman is a HUGE risk for him (if it doesn't succeed, his reputation/ego will take a big blow) so I find it hard to believe he would've just rushed into this decision and that he would've wanted a lot of time to weigh up this decision before committing to it. So that alone suggests this had probably been under discussion for weeks or even months, imo.
Would it really be that much of a risk for Connors at this point in his career? At his age and little success and experience as a coach, it's not like tennis players were banging down his door asking him to coach. He could view this as his last great chance to get into the spotlight and be a part of tennis one last time, coaching one of the biggest stars ever. What reputation does he have? No matter what happens with Maria, he'll still be considered an all-time great player. And he never brought success to Roddick, so it's not like his coaching prowess is revered and he's putting it on the line handling a female player.

I don't think he has anything to lose at all here. Whether he lasts 6 months, a year, or whatever, I think he's going to enjoy being relevant again. It won't dent his family life much, I don't think. Maria is the one with everything at stake in this partnership.
Mexicola is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote