TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Maria and Thomas go seperate ways

View Single Post

Old Jul 15th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #176
country flag Trih

Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maria and Thomas go seperate ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavstry. View Post
usually i think people making mount from a molehill about coaching...
Its rather pointless judging anything prior results. Example, how Safina went from average top20 player to #1 in one year with a completely unknown and inexperienced (and dick) coach. While VIP cant do anything but firing every big name after 6-9 months...
First of all I agree with this, we can only hope for the best and prepare for the worst, and judge after the facts.
Quote:
Although I have 2 points to make.
One of the most important is chemistry, that coach and player be on the same side the whole time.
Another one, Hoggy is a tennis nerd, following womens tennis on a daily basis, scouting opponents and watching youtube for hours. Maria benefited from that background Hoggy offered her. (Even Mouratouglu really helped Serena in this department since he knows a lot of players.) OTOH I can't imagine Connors doing the same on a consistent basis, he wont have & give knowledge about which side of Cadantu is stronger, etc... Or maybe i do underrate him, i dont know.

edit: just to balance out Hoggy's pro-con list, I'm sure Maria wont ruin further her final W/L record with Jimmie as she did in past 2 years. She either wont make it that far or just wins it all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
....so, like you, I'm worried that she might be disadvantaged losing Hogstedt's knowledge of the other WTA players, and that's why I hope she will still have someone on her team who'll do that kind of research, because as you say Connors probably won't be willing (or able) to do it. Matt Cronin has been saying he suspects there'll be a "junior coach" or something as well, so hopefully that will be someone who knows the WTA more.
I don't know if it's all due to Hogstedt's knowledge of players, for sure he made her a more complete player (specially on clay) and that helped her on winning a lot of matches she wouldn't win before. But I think it's more about completing her game rather than studying her opponent, imho, and that's what I look forward to see about her work with Connors: Hogstedt completed her in certain ways of her game, but couldn't do it on other aspects, so the thing I would like to see more is her game improving in some of the ways she needs to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM_1257 View Post
dsanders06, I share my opinion with you. Let's see what will Connors bring to the table. I still prefer Maria reaching finals than not reaching them, that is my take on things, a win is best, but if not RU is better than a SF etc.
And I'll always agree with this, no matter who she has to face (Serena) in the finals, one stage further is and always will be better.
Trih is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote