TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Maria and Thomas go seperate ways

View Single Post

Old Jul 15th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #170
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maria and Thomas go seperate ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavstry. View Post
Another one, Hoggy is a tennis nerd, following womens tennis on a daily basis, scouting opponents and watching youtube for hours. Maria benefited from that background Hoggy offered her. (Even Mouratouglu really helped Serena in this department since he knows a lot of players.) OTOH I can't imagine Connors doing the same on a consistent basis, he wont have & give knowledge about which side of Cadantu is stronger, etc... Or maybe i do underrate him, i dont know.
Yeah, that's my main worry. For all the rose-tinted glasses talk that the Maria of 2004-08 was a superior player in every way!!!!11 to the Maria of the past few years, one thing she has been better at in recent years is she's been much better strategically, and that's surely because of Hogstedt. For example, the Australian Open semifinal against Kvitova is probably a match she would've lost in her first career -- when Kvitova caught fire in the second half of the match, Maria had come prepared with a B-game of destroying Petra's rhythm, and it was obvious she and Hogstedt had done their homework on what type of shots made Petra uncomfortable, what spots on the court Petra was uncomfortable in, what playing patterns she tended to lapse into on key points, etc. That stands in stark contrast with, for example, that Wimbledon semifinal in 2006 against Mauresmo, which was a winnable match for Maria if she'd just made some basic adjustments to her game and had better anticipation of what Mauresmo's patterns of play were.

....so, like you, I'm worried that she might be disadvantaged losing Hogstedt's knowledge of the other WTA players, and that's why I hope she will still have someone on her team who'll do that kind of research, because as you say Connors probably won't be willing (or able) to do it. Matt Cronin has been saying he suspects there'll be a "junior coach" or something as well, so hopefully that will be someone who knows the WTA more.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote