TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Wimbledon 2013: Reminiscences of Green Grass

View Single Post

Old Jul 9th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #828
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wimbledon 2013: Reminiscences of Green Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Janowicz has a huge serve, of the kind no woman can produce, which is the main reason why he does well on grass. Venus is a couple of inches shorter than Maria (and just a couple of inches can be crucial) and also is more athletic than Maria and thus is (or was, in her prime days) able to consistently crouch down and hit the ball at a comfortable height, in a way Maria can't.

Last year I did believe her grasscourt problems were mainly just because she wasn't playing aggressive enough, but this year I realised she actually was trying to play aggressively, but the bounce just doesn't allow her to time her attempted aggressive shots correctly, especially on the forehand. In her two matches there this year, she probably hit her forehand cleanly less than 10 times.
she definitely had some problems with her forehand in these two matches for sure, but we have to consider how unlucky she was for the last two years as well...first of all, facing streaking Lisicki in early round last year and then playing against inspired mini version of herself on a slippery court this year. Had she survived the first week of Wimbledon (and I'm convinced she would have beaten Bartoli for sure, especially if they played on a higher bouncing and slower CC), the second week would be all spent on the worn out slower grass, which would suit her game just fine against all the remaining players. So yes, I do think this was a huge missed opportunity for her and a chance to add to her slam tally
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote