TennisForum.com - View Single Post - The Tracy Austin - Chris Evert rivalry : eyewitness accounts needed!!

View Single Post

Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 06:21 PM   #14
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
The importance that Chris attaches to her sf victory 46 61 61 over Austin in 1980 at the Open is also testimony to the intensity of their rivalry. I would LOVE to see that match and have never even seen any highlights of it. I bet it was electric. Chris must have played out of her skin. Has anybody seen it? I'd love to read a blow-by-blow account of that one.

Re that US Open final in 1981, RoanHJ, I hear you. I called Tracy every synonym for the word prostitute that I knew at the tender and innocent age of 15 that night and she momentarily ranked alongside Margaret Thatcher as most hated devilspawn in the universe. I too have grown up a bit since then and learned to appreciate her.

I recently got my hands on a copy of her sf vs Goolagong at Wimbledon in 1980 and it's a great match to watch because of the huge contrast in styles. It does underline a certain 2-dimensional aspect to Tracy's game at that point. Evonne was too wily and creative for her on that day and tracy seemed at a loss as to how to handle the variety. She was often drawn forward and then lobbed or passed and had trouble handling Evonne's phenomenal array of spins.

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice

Last edited by Andy T : Feb 22nd, 2004 at 06:28 PM.
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote