TennisForum.com - View Single Post - The Tracy Austin - Chris Evert rivalry : eyewitness accounts needed!!

View Single Post

Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:21 AM   #1
country flag MLF

MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute
The Tracy Austin - Chris Evert rivalry : eyewitness accounts needed!!

The Tracy Austin - Chris Evert rivalry is one that has always interested me for some reason. When people talk of Graf-Seles being the biggest rivalry circumstances robbed the game off I would also add in Tracy's injuries as preventing one of the greatest rivalries - a three way Navratilova - Austin - Evert.

I never really saw Tracy play at her peak due to being a bit too young to remember her plus in those days UK tv really only showed the Eastbourne final & Wimbledon.

How did she manage to beat Chris at Chris' own game, seeing as Chris is viewed as the ultimate baseliner? For argument's sake ( and not to piss off Chrissie fans ) if you consider the period of 1979 - 1981 as the only period when Tracy and Chris played on a level playing field due to both being fit plus Tracy being old enough to compete on a level playing field then Tracy was dominating the Austin - Evert rivalry, leading 9-3 for that period and ending up retired with a 9-7 advantage over Chris.

What was Chris' reaction to Tracy? Were they friendly?
MLF is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote