TennisForum.com - View Single Post - irish tennis

Thread: irish tennis
View Single Post

Old Jul 6th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #1259
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: irish tennis

Frankly all it takes is one pushy parent, look at Wozniacki, tennis was not on Danish sports radar till her. Erakovic in NZ is another. I'm hoping some of the Polish immigrants who came to Ireland can get their kids into tennis.

Also I'm surprised he's such a Debbie downer about an Irish person winning a slam. I mean in theory it could happen as I said one parent with their kid at an academy I think nationality is irrelevant. The problem with some in Irish tennis is they want everything to happen at home when really they need to move to Barcelona, Paris or Florida if they want to improve. The LTA has tried creating a homegrown star and it keeps failing Murray went to Spain and its the only reason he became a top player, the LTA didn't create Murray.

We have no courts other than those awful artificial grass ones and now ITFs for women and that Irish Open (disgrace such a prestigious tournament is not a futures event ) so I don't see a single benefit in remaining associated with tennis Ireland.

Personally I don't see it happening cause Irish parents get scared that it won't work and then ship the kid off to play college tennis in the US and that is the nail in the coffin for a career. Why not let the kid play the tour for a while, you can always return to college as a mature student. A lot of other tour players do that or part time study for a degree while playing. The college route is so old fashioned and not useful for a tennis career.

Also the Wimbledon obsession needs to stop, people here only get interested in tennis at Wimbledon there are 3 other slams and personally I'd rather Irish players do well at hard slams or RG because those surfaces are legit year round surfaces. If an Irish player never won a match at Wimbledon but could win on hard and clay I'd be more than happy.