TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Wimbledon 2013: Reminiscences of Green Grass

View Single Post

Old Jun 27th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #770
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wimbledon 2013: Reminiscences of Green Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas View Post
i have reopened my bookmark "Feel better" it contains GOAT Maria highlights

so flat
You seriously want to go back to the days where her game was so fragile and inconsistent that losses like Wednesday's were the norm? I mean, even after this match against Stosur (which was probably her best match in '09 but was still nothing spectacular at all in her career as a whole), she barely limped past Kleybanova and Benesova just later in that tournament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeMashabator View Post
But I do agree she needs something more in her game. Since her comeback, when her serve is on, her return is off and vice versa. Very rare to see both working at the same time. I want her to get almost Lindsay-like consistency on serve and return.

Plus, I don't like her backhand AT ALL. It used to her money shot. Backhand out wide stretch, crosscourt and bam, the point is over. It used to be that good, but it looks so average like a rally shot these days.
I don't really think she should add stuff to her game (I can't help but feel it would be suicide for her to start serve-volleying or something), I think she just needs to do what she does better.

I still can't help but suspect she and Hogstedt are spending too MUCH time on her serve in practice. I always hate when the tennis media reduces analysis of Maria's game to the outdated "her serve is a huge liability" theory. Her serve is actually pretty much as good now as it was before the surgery. Since the start of 2012, very few of her losses have been doublefault-fests, most of them have largely been caused by her groundstrokes malfunctioning. Some of her losses against Azarenka are the best example -- in most of those matches, she'd be hitting great first serves which Azarenka could only scrape a short return back, but then Maria would sacrifice the initiative because of her groundstrokes not being good enough.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote