TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

View Single Post

Old Jun 25th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #2712
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4times View Post

'When did I last cry, and why? He said it was guacamole. It was wasabi'

WOW! What. An. Interview.

Her responses range from thought-provoking, sensitive, humourous and just that bit self-deprecatory.
She hit a winner on every answer! This is why I never understood the print journalists and TV commentators (and certain players) who called Steffi "distant" or "enigmatic" or "robotic" or "one dimensional" and suchlike. Granted, there are only a few of them propagating that myth, but there were times when they seemed to shout the loudest.

I mean, take Bruce Jenkins during Wimbledon 1988 for example. He will say that she's distant, that he wonders what she's really like, that her English press conferences are "bland." Meanwhile, in those same articles, he tells us she hits with a ballgirl to warm-up for her warm-up, that she mock-complains (or maybe not-so-mock) about missing a Bruce Springsteen concert because her doubles match ran long, and that she comments about the Euro soccer tournament. Well, Bruce, let me put it together for you: she's a 19-year-old kid with a sense of humor and sense of fun who likes going to concerts and movies, likes to read, likes to watch other sports, takes her tennis seriously, but still keeps a good perspective on its importance in the grand scheme of things.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote