TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

View Single Post

Old Jun 25th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #2710
country flag MistyGrey

MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/...094879173.html

Q. This week there's a commemoration of 40 years of the WTA. We have some of the best players ever playing right now. When you think of the sport, who do you consider the greatest woman player ever and why?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: That's an extremely tough question because I wasn't part of the generation which consisted of incredible players. I can only speak of the generation that I was part of.

I never played Steffi Graf. I never played Chris Evert. Never played Navratilova. So those are considered incredible champions.

So I think on many different levels, they all deserve a tremendous amount of respect. And I don't think one should be called greater than the other. There's no real reason for that.

Q. If you could play one player who you haven't played?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Probably Steffi.

Q. How do you think you'd play with her great forehand, her speed?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think she'd chop me up (smiling).

Q. You were old enough to see her play and remember seeing her play. Do you remember her being dominant and thinking when you watched her that she was so dominant, she could beat anyone?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Uhm, I don't think I ever thought about dominance. Quite honestly, I never watched so much of tennis. I don't know many statistics. I just never followed it all the time. Just when the Grand Slams were on television, I would watch. Other than that, I never really ... I don't know anyone's record or how they did against each other or who had a dominant year and who didn't.

I enjoyed watching her play because of her game, her composure, the way she carried herself. Yeah, there's just so many positives about her.

Q. You said she would chop you up. How do you think it would work out if it were Graf against Serena Williams?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Such different styles. I think till this day, I'm sure maybe Steffi plays here and there, but I think she still has a pretty incredible slice, especially on grass, which is a big weapon to have.

I don't know. I think it would be a really interesting matchup.