TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

View Single Post

Old Jun 24th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #2706
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
The link doesn't work for me, what was it about ?
Pictures from the exhibition in Zug. (Although the kids' faces were pixelated out. Bild has some standards these days.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
Thanks for the stats from the 88 Wimbledon final, it's been a long time since I last watched it, but I do remember that this 2nd set was so (well and the 3rd and 1st set too actually lol)
Winners from everywhere, at a changeover Navratilvoa looked so dejected (quite like about to cry )
There are so many points that are still jaw-droppers. Steffi hits this one overhead smash in the first set that bounces out of court over the top of the backstop. Over the top of Centre Court's backstop. On the old "soft and greasy" grass. With a Dunlop Max 200G. It's a good thing Navratilova's back is turned so she doesn't see it and freak out even earlier.

And then the point at 0-2 in the second set that really marked the turn-around. Probably somewhere around that point Steffi has her "don't think, just play" revelation. Navratilova hits a great mis-hit drop volley. There's no way anyone should get to it before it double bounces, so most people wouldn't even think to try for it. Steffi doesn't think, she just runs-as-a-reflex.

I wonder if Navratilova ever figured out that her body language and facial expressions really worked against her on some occasions. After this match, Steffi said that when she looked over at Martina in the locker room during the rain delay, Martina seemed so down and that if she was going to play the way she looked, there was no way she would come back and win. You just can't "tip your hand" like that against Steffi.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote