TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Let's have a constructive discussion on rape culture

View Single Post

Old Jun 20th, 2013, 02:59 AM   #29
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A balanced response to the Serena faux pas

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqgeoxxh View Post
Yes she isn't responsible, but post prosecution it is worth pointing out her foolishness to all young girls who may find themselves in this situation. Some guys out there have nasty deeds on their minds. Drinking yourself unconscious is not helping your safety. Serena's comments have some value and common sense. Sadly it's being totally ignored.
This is the same thing that my doubles partner says. My response is a little lofty: Nothing that anyone does should ever lead to rape. And I understand that we don't live in a perfect world, and there are monsters out there who would take advantage of your vulnerability. And I think that any conversation about this after prosecution needs to underscore that while nothing you could ever do should lead to getting sexually assaulted that there are perverts out there who will use your poor judgment against you. And that's not what Serena said. I think her wording emphasized the victim's errors, and I think that that's what was really difficult to understand. I don't remember where I read this, but there was an article where Serena was quote as saying, "unless they put something in her drink, then that's another story." To me, I understood that as her saying that because they didn't put something in the victim's drink that she was somehow in some way responsible.

I'm not trying to vilify Serena, I just think that we need to very careful with how we discuss not just rape culture but the entire world that victims of abuse live in.
shap_half is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote