TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Off Topic....Anything Goes vol4

View Single Post

Old Jun 13th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #4926
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Off Topic....Anything Goes vol4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
Serena isn't all time great, it's what is written even in wikipedia, she doesn't hold record numbers even among women
See, when you continue to make statements like that, it just undermines your own credibility. I know you wear your “troll” badge proudly at GM, but it would help your own cause if you balanced the Serena bashing with more substantive arguments related to tennis and Serena’s place in it. You don’t have to be a fan of hers to still give Serena her due.

Saying Serena isn’t an all-time great at this point makes you look petty and in denial. You can’t dispute the numbers, the results, the facts. All of them support Serena being one of the greatest ever and sitting there with your fingers in your ears going “La, la, la, I can’t hear you!” isn’t gong to change that.

52 titles, 16 majors, producing a career-high win streak at age 31, the overwhelming head-to-head records against all of the relevant players during her 14 years. Maria, Vika, Henin, Clijsters, Mauresmo, Davenport, Capriati, Hingis…. Anyone you can think of, she has a winning record against them all, except for Sanchez Vicario. Her domination has crossed multiple generations. The 2013 Serena is just as devastating or maybe more so than the 2002 version. And she’s doing it on all surfaces now after all these years. All of that means nothing to you? To discredit that means you’re discrediting and dismissing all of champion players that played during this Serena era because she owned all of them.

Yes, you can make a good case that Serena still isn’t THE best player of all-time at this date. Graf, Evert, and Martina would still get a lot of votes as having superior careers. But Serena’s still building her resume as we speak and she’s climbing up there. And based on the state of the WTA, Serena ending up with 25 or 26 majors is hardly out of the question if she stays healthy. She just made a mockery of the clay when it was supposed to be her kryptonite. There’s a lot more winning to come and, one day, that discussion as her being the all-time best will be a legitimate one. But, in the meantime, Serena is ONE of the all-time greats right now, at the very least. And it has nothing to do with what Wikipedia or the tennis media are saying. Serena’s earned her place in history with her accomplishments.

I don’t like it either but that’s the way it is.
Mexicola is online now View My Blog!