TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Roland Garros 2013 : La reine Maria de retour dans son jardin

View Single Post

Old Jun 8th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #1202
country flag Sharakim
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future
Re: Roland Garros 2013 : La reine Maria de retour dans son jardin

I'm not making excuses for Masha, but I think her lower first serve percentage is a byproduct of Serena's lethal return. IF you notice, she started the match by taking a little off her 1st serve and getting it in, but then serena punished it and suddenly she was put under pressure, quickly down 0-40. From then on, she threw caution to the wind and just went for it everytime. I think Maria felt like she really had to go for the big serves all the time, and thus she took a lot of risks. Unfortunately, post-shoulder surgery Maria is never going to have the consistent serve that she once did. I'm not saying that she should've served 60% or that she couldn't have served better, only that I can accept it because the serve did win her a lot of important points....just not enough today. Today was all about Serena's play. Maria was never really in control of the match, and it was Serena\s incredible defense and own serve that made all the difference.

Like many of you, I believe that if Maria stays healthy and motivated, she can win at least 2-3 more majors and maybe more depending on her own improvements and that of her rivals. Nevertheless, I concede that her best chances would be to avoid facing Serena in finals as much as possible. If they do play again, Maria has to bring all that she brought today plus something extra, and hope for the best. There's still Wimby and the US this year, so it's possible our girl can take another slam, and I wouldn't be surprised if she did win one.
Sharakim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote