TennisForum.com - View Single Post - She's a BOMB - Belinda Benčič Cheering Thread

View Single Post

Old Jun 8th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #820
BlueTrees

BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Welcome to BEL AIR - Belinda Benčič Cheering Thread

2013 junior champions crowned at Roland Garros

On a beautiful sunny Saturday in Paris they crowned all the 2013 Roland Garros Junior Champions.

Joining Garin in the winner’s circle was second-seeded Belinda Bencic of Switzerland, who captured a 61 63 victory over fifth-seeded Antonia Lottner of Germany.

It's a real incredible feeling,” said Bencic, of winning a Grand Slam trophy. “After the match point it was just I didn't realize it yet, so I'm just going to enjoy the day.”

Bencic is coached by her father, Ivan, but also works with Melanie Molitor, the mother of Martina Hingis, since she was six-years-old. The combination seems to be a winning formula for Bencic, who started playing tennis at age 3.

Molitor wasn’t in attendance, but Bencic already had been in touch with her by phone.

Her mother wasn’t here, but Hingis was and she was courtside to watch Bencic follow her path to winning the Roland Garros junior title. Hingis won the junior girls’ title here in 1993 and 1994.

“She (Hingis) congratulate me and she was very happy for me,” Bencic said. “She give me a lot of tips during the tournament. So, yeah, I'm very thankful for that that she have time to watch my matches.”

Bencic was on top of her game in the first set, never allowing an opening for Lottner to make a statement.

However, in the second set, Bencic initially appeared to be in trouble as Lottner cruised to a 3-0 lead. But Lottner’s second set luck was not to continue as Bencic returned to form to win the final six games of the match.

“It wasn’t my day today, but Belinda played pretty good, but it was still a good tournament for me,” Lottner said. “I started really nervous and was trying not to think it was the final, to just think it’s another match, but it’s pretty hard.”

Bencic arrived at Roland Garros brimming with confidence having won two important titles already this year. In May, she won the Grade 1 Torneo Citta Di Santa Croce and Grade A Trofeo Bonfiglio titles ahead of her Roland Garros victory.