TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

View Single Post

Old May 20th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #2885
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I disagree. A fluke means that you had a bit of luck. Nobody gets "a bit of luck" for twelve months in a row. If you have great results for twelve months it means you can play. Even if for whatever reason she will never repeat that season it means that the innate ability is there. Same for Caro and her 67 weeks at #1. Like Ozza says, her critics will also try to explain that one away as a fluke, which is impossible. First week? Well, she got lucky. One week later? Oops, she got lucky again. And so on for almost three years (2009-2011) in a row? Impossible. Same for Ivanovic and Jankovic for that matter.
Well,you are sticking your head in your ass and denying an accepted fact from sports fandom.Virtually EVERYONE who's not from Belgium agrees that a player can have a fluke season.One of the most notable in N.American sports history was when Roger Maris hit 61 home runs in 1961(the pre-PED era),and never even hit 40 in the remainder of his 15-year career.That doesn't mean that Maris was a bad player--he was quite decent--yet he was nowhere near 60-homer caliber.

Likewise,AI is a decent player,but she's not even in the same GALAXY with Henin,Hingis,Graf,Evert or the WS....She's much closer to Flavia Pennetta(much,MUCH closer) than she is to that group of legends.Seven YEARS' worth of fringe-Top 15 tennis,with scant titles outside of that seasonal fluke,have PROVEN that beyond a doubt.

As for Caro,she has had far more consistent success in hr career...and I'd like to think that her #1 run wasn't a fluke...am inclined to say that it WASN'T...but I obviously can't be impartial on that

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Our Slam: Islas Marias Prison Island Open--Benito Juarez Open(red clay)--Mazatlan Open(LOTS of Mexican 'grass' AND 'sugar')--the Mexico City Open(VERY poorly attended b/c almost NO ONE can get thru the traffic)

Last edited by bruce goose : May 20th, 2013 at 01:37 AM.
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!