TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Www 2013 Ncaa Team Tournament

View Single Post

Old May 15th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #358
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Www 2013 Ncaa Team Tournament

http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/w-t...051513aaa.html

"The UCLA-Michigan Series
UCLA and Michigan have met only one time in women's tennis, with the Bruins taking an 8-1 victory over the Wolverines back in 1983.

UCLA at the NCAA Championships
Only three teams (UCLA, Stanford and Cal) have made the NCAA Tournament every year since women's tennis became an NCAA sport in 1982. The Bruins' selection to the 2013 tournament marks the team's 32nd appearance. UCLA captured its only NCAA title in 2008 in Tulsa, Okla. (UCLA def. Cal, 4-0). The Bruins' only other national title was in 1981 when the Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (AIAW) was the governing body of women's tennis.

UCLA Against the NCAA Round of 16
UCLA owns a 2-5 record against the other 15 teams that are still alive in the NCAA Tournament. The Bruins' wins this season were over Cal and Georgia. UCLA suffered losses to North Carolina, Stanford, Cal and USC (twice). However, UCLA's loss against No. 2 seed North Carolina in the final of the ITA National Team Indoors, was a tight 4-3."

"McPhillips on a Roll
Freshman Kyle McPhillips has been UCLA's hottest player of late, taking a 10-match winning streak into this week's NCAA Round of 16. McPhillips' run started in the team's last four matches of the regular season and continued all the way through the Pac-12 Tournament, where she became the first UCLA freshman to win the main draw singles title since Sara Walker in 2000. At 30-8 overall, she is the only Bruin player to reach the 30-win mark this season.

McPhillips Named Pac-12 Newcomer of the Year as All-Conference Honors are Released
All-Pac-12 honors for the 2013 season were released on Wednesday and Bruin freshman Kyle McPhillips was named Pac-12 Newcomer of the Year. McPhillips, from Willoughby, Ohio, is the second Bruin player in as many years to earn that honor, as Robin Anderson also took home the award in 2012. In addition, McPhillips was named to the All-Pac-12 second team, while Anderson earned a spot on the first team.

Bruins Recruit Nationally
One interesting fact about this year's lineup is that the Bruins' top eight players all hail from different states. As amazing as it sounds, UCLA only has one starting player from the state of California in Pamela Montez. Below is a breakdown of UCLA's lineup:

1. Robin Anderson, Matawan, N.J.
2. Kyle McPhillips, Willoughby, Ohio
3. Pamela Montez, La Quinta, Calif.
4. Chanelle Van Nguyen, Miami, Fla.
5. Catherine Harrison, Germantown, Tenn.
6. Courtney Dolehide, Hinsdale, Ill.
7. Kaitlin Ray, Little Rock, Ark.
8. Skylar Morton, Bethesda, Md.

McPhillips Named Southwest Region ITA Rookie of the Year
In addition to her Pac-12 Newcomer of the Year award, freshman Kyle McPhillips was also named ITA Southwest Region Rookie of the Year on Tuesday. That means she is in contention for the ITA National Rookie of the Year award, which will be announced later this month."

"Did You Know?
Being a the No. 7 seed isn't such a bad thing for UCLA, as the Bruins were also seeded seventh in the team's national championship season of 2008. UCLA defeated No. 8 Cal, 4-0 in the final that year in Tulsa, Okla."

I see that they didn't tell the REAL reason

" Few college coaches can match Sampras Webster's ability to continually put their teams in the title hunt year in and year out. Prior to the 2008 championship season, she guided the program to a pair of second-place finishes in 2004 and 2007. Sampras Webster-led teams have finished in the top 5 nationally on eight occasions (1997, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2011 and 2012). UCLA was the national runner-up in 2012, falling to Florida in the championship match in Athens, Ga."

my tennis blog
my personal blog my youtube acct
my flickr acct my imgur acct picasa album acct

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote