TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

View Single Post

Old May 15th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #2768
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
Caro is almost 23 (2 months short of it), which isn't that young in tennis. A tennis player's prime tends to last until their late 20s.

I think Caro taking the rest of the year would be too long. She would lose too much rhythm and it would take some time before she got used to the grind of the tour again. Plus she would be in danger of falling out of seeding for the slams.
There is one thing I took from angliru's stats on matches played, and that is it demonstrates a previous point that Caro really is quite an old 22 year old. She's not going to be as fresh as some others, she has more miles on her legs (especially at the top level), mentally she's been through a lot more, it all takes its toll.

I also think any time out without actually playing tennis (so taking the rest of the year off) would more likely be the beginning of the end as oppose to a route back to the top. It's not like the areas of her game that need work are going to get better while she's off tour not playing tennis, they would likely get worse. I can see the idea of taking time off until the USO hard court season to work on her game, but the idea of taking the rest of the season off, I can't see being a solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angliru View Post
I don't think it would have been worse for her career-wise if she hadn't played the last four tournaments. But that's pure speculation. She seems tired. Fed up. Doesn't enjoy it. Was once nicknamed Sunshine; now the sun is giving her troubles.
It could really be as simple as she's losing more. No-one likes losing, it's not like she's going to get much joy out of turning up to these tournaments losing R1 and moving on to next week. She is also probably under more pressure than we realise as well.
ozza is offline View My Blog!