TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

View Single Post

Old May 15th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #2762
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
It's not contradictory. I meant those players are dispensable if they never come back to where they were. For example I am sure the WTA would like to see Caroline higher up in the game, but it's not the end of the world if she doesn't, someone else will always come along (see Stephens, Robson etc.). But if the WTA had alienated Sharapova they would now be in a very awkward situation if they were at loggerheads with their world number 2.

There were people who said Sharapova would never get back, as pointed out a few pages ago, people were calling for her to retire. It could be seen as she was underachieving. Without putting a watch on all your players 24/7 how exactly are you to know if someone is loafing around. You can make assumptions, but you don't know it as fact. For all intents and purposes, most people think Caroline works pretty hard, from her fitness level, it appears she works hard. Whether she works on the right thing is another thing entirely though, what do you want the WTA to do? Go in and coach the players, tell them you need to be doing this and that.
Now you're nitpicking a little bit;obviously,discretion and tact would be employed.You don't need to spy on people to have knowledge that certain players refuse to get fitness coaches,and players would be given the benefit of the doubt if there weren't clear,damning evidence...which there certainly IS with players like Ivanovic and Lisicki.

As I said,I didn't see ANY accusations that Masha wasn't trying her best,but I'll humor you and let you play devil's advocate despite the poor example.Let's say that she had an abysmal serve like Caroline's...and a WTA staffer,an ex-player or coach,pulled her aside and politely expressed concern over her struggles,suggesting an experienced,respected service coach.What would Masha do?Say,"Fuck you!How DARE you speak to me about my on-court performance!I'll NEVER do any WTA promos again!" ?I seriously doubt that,as it would only reduce the player's exposure and marketability if she copped such a stubborn,reactive attitude and refused to work with her association.Respectfully recommending such a service coach to Caroline would NOT be crossing the line,IMO.If she went into unreasonable bitch mode in response(which I doubt that she would),then the WTA could basically wish her a nice life and replace her with those up-and-comers you mentioned.

Lastly,I didn't specify this earlier,but these situations wouldn't arise that frequently.Most top players ARE motivated and don't require a kick in the pants.If it were a player who had limited potential,oh well,no big deal........And you can't seriously mean that Marineblue and I are the only tennis fans who are fed up with all of the wasted talent in women's tennis...and the pathetic enabling by the WTA??I give you credit for being far more intelligent than that

.....And I screwed up the time on the invitation and really AM leaving now.I hope you realize that I appreciate your contributions to this forum,but I feel that you're way of base on this one.You make it seem as if it were Orwellian to make sure that star players were giving sincere,honest effort when,in reality,that's what sporting leagues do in MANY respects,as with drug testing,for example

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

LOOK! It's CLEAR; Carousel is a LIE! You don't HAVE to die! You can LIVE; LIVE and GROW OLD!

Last edited by bruce goose : May 15th, 2013 at 04:30 PM.
bruce goose is online now View My Blog!