TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Rome 2013 - 3 is a magic number

View Single Post

Old May 15th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #71
country flag Trih

Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rome 2013 - 3 is a magic number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Yes, but if we have to wait for another time like the first half of the 2000's when we had players like Serena, Venus, Hingis, Seles, Capriati, Davenport, Henin, Clijsters and Mauresmo in the top 10 - all of them slam champions, all of them #1's at some point and all of them capable of beating each other we're going have to wait for a very, very long time I think. No other era can compete with that because most of them were all time greats and those that weren't but came close would have been if they had been born in another era. But I think that womens tennis at the moment is in a pretty good place. It's not as unstable as it was during the Wozniacki years. You now have three payers who are clearly a step ahead of everyone else and below them you have a couple of players (Li and Kvitova especially) who have a realistic chance of beating them occasionally. That's not so much different from the ATP where you have four guys at the top and directly below them the likes of a delPotro, Tsonga and Berdych. Of course the domination of Serena is perhaps at the moment a bit too much to regard the big three as three equals. But you had the same situation on the mens side in 2011 when Djokovic was dominating or in several years before that when Federer was wiping the floor with everyone else. So, is the situation in the womens game ideal at this point? Probably not, but it's pretty good I think.
I agree, maybe it didn't come out in the best way from my post, but I meant also this.
The 2000's were so good that I think us tennis fans have been spoiled by it. Every time I see Pavs with Martina I think that if she took a raquet and get into the MD of RG she would reach QF without problems
Trih is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote