TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Rome 2013 - 3 is a magic number

View Single Post

Old May 15th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #69
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rome 2013 - 3 is a magic number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trih View Post
They're all happy and excited because they only remember the years past when Caro was #1 and Zvonareva #2 (I'm sorry to say it but it's true.. they have been good, but not so good to be above anyone else...) and now that we have Maria and Serena it feels so better. But the rest of the top 10 used to be, like you say, Henin Clijsters, Davenport, Mauresmo ... the top 2 now are the only 2 left from that period, all the rest of the top 10 is so much worse than it used to be. That's why we always end up having Masha to face Serena in the finals, it's all that can happen when you think that Petra or Ana or Aga could randomly flop any day to Halep or Ula...
Yes, but if we have to wait for another time like the first half of the 2000's when we had players like Serena, Venus, Hingis, Seles, Capriati, Davenport, Henin, Clijsters and Mauresmo in the top 10 - all of them slam champions, all of them #1's at some point and all of them capable of beating each other we're going have to wait for a very, very long time I think. No other era can compete with that because most of them were all time greats and those that weren't but came close would have been if they had been born in another era. But I think that womens tennis at the moment is in a pretty good place. It's not as unstable as it was during the Wozniacki years. You now have three payers who are clearly a step ahead of everyone else and below them you have a couple of players (Li and Kvitova especially) who have a realistic chance of beating them occasionally. That's not so much different from the ATP where you have four guys at the top and directly below them the likes of a delPotro, Tsonga and Berdych. Of course the domination of Serena is perhaps at the moment a bit too much to regard the big three as three equals. But you had the same situation on the mens side in 2011 when Djokovic was dominating or in several years before that when Federer was wiping the floor with everyone else. So, is the situation in the womens game ideal at this point? Probably not, but it's pretty good I think.

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote