TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Rome 2013 - 3 is a magic number

View Single Post

Old May 15th, 2013, 04:49 AM   #67
country flag #1SteffiGraf#1

#1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future #1SteffiGraf#1 has a brilliant future
Re: Rome 2013 - 3 is a magic number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpova View Post
Probably in Rome or FO. I know many of you will disagree with this, but Serena has been so unlucky in her career. Don't get me wrong, 15 Slams is amazing, but she missed years and years because of injuries. She struggled sometimes with coming back. lack of confidence, motivation, etc. She finds her old form back only to get re-injured and lose at a Slam. Even after all the injuries she has not lost the desire she had when she was 19/20. That speaks volumes about her.

If she had stayed healthy throughout her career she would have probably reached or eclipsed Graf by now. However, in a way injuries made her career longer and after everything she stands as the sole one (plus Venus) remaining from the old generation.

But yeah, I think she will be unlucky at the FO again. Luck has never really been on her side, she's always had to EARN her wins and have fluke wins (like Kim when she came back in the weakest era of womens tennis with Woz and Zvonareva as the top 2 ). In that way, she reminds me of Maria. Maria also hasn't had anything handed on a plate to her. She has survived injuries, slumps, humiliation, but has never let that break her down which shows what a great champion she is. Today's players don't have quality and often a single match or tournament ruins their entire career.

I agree about the mental instability of a lot of the top players. It doesn't help that they call the coaches every chance they get. It would be nice to see them figure it out on their own, but I guess they aren't capable of it.
------------------------------------------------------------
Hingis Fan est. 1996
Pova Fan est. 2009
#1SteffiGraf#1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote