TennisForum.com - View Single Post - ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 3

View Single Post

Old May 14th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #662
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 3

Her attitude after every loss to Serena or anybody else is always beautiful. The problem is, Maria needs to display that great attitude DURING a match against Serena, which she seldom has. And when it comes to playing her, even with all the positivity, you need to show some results at some point. As tough as Maria is, 12 straight losses, most of them lopsided, has to be taking a toll on her on some level internally.

I recently watched her 2004 WTA Championship match against Serena in Los Angeles and I marveled at Maria's poise throughout. That was a hostile crowd, with Serena playing near her home, with friends and family everywhere. Nobody was rooting for Maria and everyone was expecting revenge for Wimbledon.

And Maria lost a very tough, competitive first set and went down a break, 1-2, in the second. But she never got rattled or rolled over. She took the next five games, most of which happened before Serena was injured. And I know Serena could barely serve in the 3rd, but it was still impressive to see Maria hold herself together after going down 0-4 and win the last 6 games.

That fearless resolve in the face of adversity when playing Serena isn't there anymore. Way too much resignation when things start going wrong and she makes it too easy for Serena. She's not making her earn it. Serena isn't THAT much better than Maria, regardless of what the scorelines suggest. Cut down on the self-inflicted errors and start playing with pride and confidence and these matches would be so different.
Mexicola is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote