TennisForum.com - View Single Post - MADRID 2013 Mission: Snatch That #500!!!

View Single Post

Old May 13th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #1031
country flag Abuttons

Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold Abuttons is a splendid one to behold
Re: MADRID 2013 Mission: Snatch That #500!!!

During Stuttgart and Madrid, Maria gave me the feeling that she had reached a level of self-confidence that I had seen only during her previous peak times. And this is both professionally and personally.
She looked like "I'm going to win this match. 2 sets? 3 sets? does not matter, I'll win. Am I facing one, 2, 3 break points? I'll save them and if not I'll break back" Or "Did they catch me and Dimitri kissing? I'll make some fun out of it".
It's really just my impression, but I really felt that Maria had got to a state of mind that would get her to handle pretty much everything that would come her way.

This was not yet making me 100% sure that she could beat Serena yesterday, but I was convinced that this was an opportunity to give her a real hard time, and - with a bit of luck - perhaps even win. Therefore I was really surprised when she handed the 1st set over in half an hour. She seem to have made a good effort in the 2nd, but once again it did not work.

It is not unlikely that we will have another 4-5 finals this year where Maria and Serena will clash. Maria's got to get over whatever blocks her to display a solid, consistent performance against Serena. Serena is overall the better player, but Maria's gap is definitely not the one that emerges from the scores.
Abuttons is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote