TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Sloane Stephens disses Serena in new ESPN Magazine Article

View Single Post

Old May 5th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #375
country flag vswfan

vswfan has a reputation beyond repute vswfan has a reputation beyond repute vswfan has a reputation beyond repute vswfan has a reputation beyond repute vswfan has a reputation beyond repute vswfan has a reputation beyond repute vswfan has a reputation beyond repute vswfan has a reputation beyond repute vswfan has a reputation beyond repute vswfan has a reputation beyond repute vswfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sloane Stephens disses Serena in new ESPN Magazine Article

And these pressers in the past...

US Open

Q. Becoming friends with Serena, does that mean she tells you things about how to play the game and win points and maybe beat her?
SLOANE STEPHENS: I don't think she's going to tell me how to beat her, no (laughter).
We're really good friends. We really enjoy each other. We just have a really good relationship. Whenever I see each other, we're laughing and we're giggling. I feel like I knew her in my past life or something, I don't know. It's so strange.
No, she's definitely not going to tell me how to beat her. We have a good relationship and I'm really happy that we've come this far.

Q. Serena has talked a lot about how great of a player you are. What have you gotten from her relationship?
SLOANE STEPHENS: She's just a good friend. I love her to death. We were in the training room together. She's a really good person. I enjoy her positivity, so it's good.

Brisbane

Q. Serena came in yesterday I think and said she was a fan of your game. How does that make you feel?
SLOANE STEPHENS: She's so sweet. (Smiling.) No, I love her. Obviously she's been a really great influence in my tennis year career. I'm excited to play her and get on the court with her tomorrow. I think it'll be fun. I mean, I'm glad they likes any tennis game.

Q. Does it give you a lot confidence having somebody with Serena's profile noticing your game?
SLOANE STEPHENS: No, not really. I think it's just becausewe're good ‑‑ I mean, we're good friends. So, I mean, if she had never seen me play then I would be kind of concerned. But I think it's okay.
Obviously I always was like, Oh, my God. I love her to death. She's amazing, whatever. Now she's like an actual person and I'm like, Oh, hi. How is it going? She's not like a hero anymore. She's just a friend.
Once this kind of died off it was kind of like okay, well. It's was been fun.

Australian Open 4R

Q. What did you learn in your matches with her recently?
SLOANE STEPHENS: Obviously every match is a learning experience. But, I mean, you've just got to go and treat it like another match. It wasn't like, Oh, my God, I played Serena, I'm going to be so great at all these other things because she just taught me so much.
It was just another match, regular match. Little things that you just take and move on.

Australian Open QF

Q. Do you remember the first time you watched the game of Serena on TV? When you were a little girl, did you ever try to learn from her on TV and imitate her?
SLOANE STEPHENS: Uhm, no, not really. I mean, I always love watching her play obviously, but never tried to like copycat or anything like that.

After the ESPN Magazine interview in March....

Miami

Q. Probably tired of answering these questions, but you're supposed to play Venus today, and when you were in Australia and you played Serena there has been a lot of comparisons. Is that sort of overblown how much you have looked up to them, or is that accurate?
SLOANE STEPHENS: I mean, I definitely ‑‑ obviously Venus and Serena are great inspirations to kids, and especially to American girls in the sport. Definitely it was a little bit blown out of proportion, but obviously looked up to them because they are amazing athletes and great tennis players.
But I think ‑‑ it's kind of died off a little bit now, but it's definitely they have always been great inspirations, not only to me but to everyone.

Fed Cup

Q. Sloane, talk about what you learned from Venus and Serena and being around them.
CAPTAIN FERNANDEZ: Only the good stuff, okay?
SLOANE STEPHENS: (Laughter.) A lot of things. Obviously they're two of the greatest players to ever play tennis. We just have fun.
We just‑‑ I mean, I don't know. I love being around them. They're really good people. Just little things I can't tell you because then I would be letting out all the secrets.
So I'll just keep it to myself for now.

She just loves to make everybody believes that she's very close with the sisters
vswfan is offline View My Blog!