TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

View Single Post

Old May 4th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #2603
country flag Steff_forever
GIMME SHELTER

Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTN View Post
I'm not saying it's an exact comparison. All I'm saying is that while one person may have shown absolute dominance over another for a certain period of time doesn't mean it will continue in that same way throughout the rest of their careers.

In any case, I'd like to highlight what Chrissie-fan said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Good point about Seles being younger. Look, I'm not trying to take anything away from Monica - I'm just trying to be fair. But when some bloggers and even people like Pam Shriver almost casually start taking away slams from Graf and assume that Seles would have won everything under the sun, that's not fair to Graf either. To be honest, there is no right answer to the question of how the Graf/Seles rivalry would have played itself out over the years. We just don't know. All we know for sure is that we as tennis fans were robbed of one of the great rivalries in history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTN View Post
I agree with this. And as I've said, even if Seles ended up with 20 or more titles and Graf ended up with 15, Graf would still have been an all-time great. I just wish these bloggers, writers, and tennis players at least acknowledge this. The way things are being written now, it's almost like Graf has no place among the legends of tennis.
what really disturbs me the most in heated debates is the arrogance of some Graf- and Seles-extremists and biased so-called experts. Taking away titles, feelings, motives, public-restricted/closed positive player-to player relations. Often this all then peaks in imputations, verbal attacs, nationalistic thoughts, fanbase-hate.
I guess this is what Günther Parche really wanted to reach. Not just to get Monica down but to separate tennis fans and to cut any affection.

At least there are really some sensible and sensitive minds in here to cool it down sometimes with distinctive and ambivalent opinions...

sympathy and respect

Steff_forever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote