TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

View Single Post

Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:51 PM   #2598
country flag Ms. Anthropic

Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all Ms. Anthropic is a name known to all
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTN View Post
I agree with this. I read somewhere on CNNSI - although I can't find the article anymore so maybe it was taken down? - that Steffi should have made more of an effort to reach out to Monica.
And this is the worst of the revisionist history. Steffi and other players and WTA officials did try to reach out to Monica. They called. They faxed. They wrote old-fashioned letters. But the results were always the same: Monica didn't take the calls and never returned the faxes or letters. As Gabriela Sabatini put it best: "Eventually you give up trying." Even when Evert bumped into her on that flight to Paris in 1995 and went over just to say hello, the IMG agent (probably Tolleson) tried to hide her and when that didn't work, Monica Seles got up and went to the back of the plane. I mean, if someone never takes your calls, never returns your messages, tries to evade you if you meet her, the rational interpretation of that is: Leave me alone, I don't want to talk to you.

The other thing to remember is that Monica was not particularly popular in the locker room. While people felt bad for her and no one wanted it to happen to her, it didn't suddenly make people like her. I mean, think of a co-worker with whom you don't feel much friendship, maybe even one who gets on your nerves a lot and vice versa. The only thing you have --and ever will have-- in common is work. Imagine something bad happens to that co-worker. You're not glad it happened. But will you suddenly be going out of your way to be friends with this person? Probably not. So when you combine Monica's public complaints that nobody called or wrote (even though people were calling and writing) with not being well-liked to begin with, the other players are quickly going to quit trying.
Ms. Anthropic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote