TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

View Single Post

Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:20 PM   #2595
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
All that would make sense if they were the same age and joined the pro tour at the same time.

You forgot the part where Seles is 4 1/2 years younger than Graf. Graf had a massive head start in everything and in 1989 accumulated 3 wins against a 15-year-old playing her first full year on the pro tour. Monica was the one that was on the ascendency. She brushed aside Graf in the early 90s like Graf brushed aside Martina in the late 80s. Difference is that Graf was in her early 20s, Martina in her early 30s.
Good point about Seles being younger. Look, I'm not trying to take anything away from Monica - I'm just trying to be fair. But when some bloggers and even people like Pam Shriver almost casually start taking away slams from Graf and assume that Seles would have won everything under the sun, that's not fair to Graf either. To be honest, there is no right answer to the question of how the Graf/Seles rivalry would have played itself out over the years. We just don't know. All we know for sure is that we as tennis fans were robbed of one of the great rivalries in history.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote