TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

View Single Post

Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:41 PM   #2587
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

There also this comment which Navratilova made which is obviously shared with a lot of other people, including us Steffi fans:

“She would have won so much more,” Navratilova said. “We’d be talking about Monica with the most Grand Slam titles [ahead of] Margaret Court or Steffi Graf. Steffi had 22 [Navratilova and Evert have 18 apiece], but she didn’t have anyone to play against."

Before Monica was stabbed, she had won 8 slam titles and Steffi won 11. If of the 11 more titles Steffi won after the stabbing, she won only 4 more and Monica won the remaining 7. Add the 1996 AO she won and let's assume she won 4 more (taking some of the titles from the likes of Arantxa, Mary Pierce, and even Hingis). In this scenario, Monica would have ended up with 20 and Steffi with 15. I'd still say that Steffi with 15 Slams in her era would put her up there among the greatest. Evert won 18 in her era and played second-fiddle to Martina for most of her career and yet she is still ranked as one of the greatest of all time. In the scenario I painted above, Steffi would arguably have been playing in a tougher era and her 15 would be more or less equivalent to Evert's 18. So I find it sad that so many people have to take a swipe at Graf's legacy. She would still have been an all-time great regardless of what happened.
XTN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote