TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

View Single Post

Old May 1st, 2013, 11:44 PM   #2371
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I've been watching the Gimelstob interview again where she talks about spending much more time working on her fitness than she spends time on the tennis court. But she also admits that she has to expand her repertoire and improve her service and her return. How she can work on that in the gym, I don't know. I'm not being cynical and I'm sure that she's a hard worker, but going by those comments it seems logical to think that she doesn't spend that much time on improving those things that she herself admits need improving.
Quite, but we don't really know if her team have the answers to the problems, some of the stuff is technical (serve, volleys etc.). What I find worrying is outside of fitness, most of the technical parts of her game have declined (the serve, backhand, forehand depth and steadiness, though arguably her offensive forehand is in better shape). I mean what is going on, obviously some of it is confidence based, you play better when confident, and I imagine Caro's confidence is shot right now, but some of it is just strange.

The thing is just being a hard worker isn't enough at the top level. Most the top players are hard workers (some exceptions, but in general), you have to be working in a clear direction, have a clear picture of what you are trying to do, maximising what you have.

With Caro, one question that hasn't been asked, and it will never be asked to Caro, but I would like to see it asked to the journalists who want to see her play this aggressive game. What is the plan to implement this vs the other big hitters? Caro can't conistently hit winners from the baseline and behind it, she likes to construct her points, eventually working her opening and a short ball to then attack. The problem is I can't see how any of this happens vs the games bigger hitters. She doesn't have (and is never likely to have) a big serve or a big return, she's often on the back foot from the start of these rallies. The core of her game imo vs these players is always going to be her defensive game.
ozza is offline View My Blog!