TennisForum.com - View Single Post - More impressive title run: STUTTGART 2012 or STUTTGART 2013?

View Single Post

Old May 1st, 2013, 03:03 PM   #15
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future
Re: More impressive title run: STUTTGART 2012 or STUTTGART 2013?

Mexi, I think it's a legitimate question, but I've to go with the majority here.

VIP has never been a very serious rival for Martha, not when she's playing semi decently. RG07 Martha was horrible and VIP was arguably in peak form. I know VIP has won the French before but IMO Sam has the better claycourt game when her head's on. And she had it on during that QF against Martha last year.

I'm always scared of matches against Kvitova, and even last year she wasn't that far off from taking a set off Martha in Stuttgart. It's just that Martha's serve was SO good, she literally saved 10++ BPs, some with her trademark high-risk 2nd serves. But the SF I'd say Kerber did give Martha all she could handle.

But the final, even though it's Vika's worst surface, she didn't even play that badly for her standard. She tried to employ the same strategy against Martha on HC but it just didn't work on clay, not against a very game Martha. All aspects of her game flowed remarkably in last year's final. Whereas this year Martha I'd say is merely solid, with relatively good service numbers and a less volatile errorNa across the net.

Like someone else said, last year Martha brought her game, this year she showed us her fight. Both are admirable.
domon17th is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote