TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Donna Vekic

Thread: Donna Vekic
View Single Post

Old Apr 29th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #4165
country flag Hele.

Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute Hele. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donna Vekic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
Well, it sure wasn't pretty, but it's the end that counts I guess Congratulations Donna!

Biggest title so far after two 25k's won last year sure looks like a good sign, and it's great that Donna scraped another tough win, but it was definately more difficult than I imagined it. Start seemed promissing, with Donna in complete control and Kulichkova obviously too impressed by everything to be able to think clearly. But once the Russian settled down all hell broke loose for Donna. At times it was painful to watch, and in the second set I almost started rooting for Kulichkova, cause Donna was soooooo bad. She needed that turnaround as a wake-up call to focus and get things under control again. Of course, by that time Kulichkova was attacking with full force, commanding the points, going forward and winning some really impressive rallies. Donna was piling up mistakes and her serve was atrocious for a good part of the match. I really wouldn't like to see the stats of this one.

Luckily for Donna this didn't go the distance and Elizaveta couldn't handle the pressure in the end, which is hardly surprising for someone that inexperienced. Of course, every win counts and so does every title, but taking into consideration this performance yesterday and all the problems she faced in the first two rounds, I'm definately not happy with Donna's form and am honestly scared to think of upcoming clay events. Contemplating a win in Paris with this sort of form showed on her best surface, would be thinking in sci-fi terms if you ask me.

Still, a win is a win is a win and every move up the rankings is valuable. I just hope that I'll be more impressed the next time I watch Donna win a match.
Well, I can partly agree with you but don't forget Donna showed something that is called - winning mentality. Yes, maybe she is not in her best form but still she won tournament. That means something, win the tournament even you are not at your best. She didn't have all "peace of cake" players. I mean, who could blame Donna for losing to for example 10 years older Dushevina (ex. WTA-31st). And don't forget that all the pressure was on Donna in the final although they are both same age - 16 years old! And "in form" players with "nothing to lose" and zero pressure on them are maybe even hardest to play. Also, I guess it wasn't easy to deal with number one seeding for Donna. Don't forget how she lost in QF at 25k in South Korea (in second part of year I think) as first seed. So, as it happen then, could happen now - despite the (not best) form. But, it did not happen. So, I guess that means something. Means that Donna has learned new lesson in her tennis development.
And for form, simply it is impossible in any sport to keep same (high) level of form during all months. Simply, you have to play sometimes better and sometimes worse. There is something called - temping of form. I'm sure her team knows best and will prepare her the best for most important tournaments for her. (Just remember Janica Kostelic and temping of form for big manifestations and situations where she needed to be the best )