TennisForum.com - View Single Post - STUTTGART 2013: Claypova slays and wins 2nd Porsche!

View Single Post

Old Apr 28th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #1171
country flag Trih

Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute Trih has a reputation beyond repute
Re: STUTTGART 2013: Claypova slays and wins 2nd Porsche!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
To me, the moment of truth for Maria was 0-2 down in the 3rd set against Kerber. She had just lost 8 out of 9 games and was looking weary. She had every chance to call it a day, especially after all the tennis she had played the previous rounds. There was still a lot of clay court tennis to come, so a loss here wouldn't have been the worst thing. I would have been fine with it. She played valiantly, but it's time for some rest.

But Maria's will and ultra-competitive nature were having none of it. I think she decided right there that not only was she going to come back and beat Kerber, she decided she was going to win the whole tournament. Once she did defeat Angie, the tournament was hers. There was no way she was going to watch Li drive away in her Porsche after fighting like a gladiator for over 7 hours.

I don't get that feeling often with Maria. She usually leaves me tied up in knots. But I had this overwhelming belief that Li had little to no chance of winning today.
If Mexicola writes this, there's nothing much else to say
I had the feeling she was winning too, even if I was scared (but I'm scared also before R1 matches so..) -- I saw Maria improving her game from shitty vs Lucie to today's performance. Na was good, but nothing exceptional all week, and most of all she didn't encounter challenges. Quite the same happened at AO but inverting parts.
So so happy. I even start liking that blue of the Porsche.
Trih is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote