TennisForum.com - View Single Post - The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu

View Single Post

Old Apr 28th, 2013, 08:51 AM   #2367
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcubeu View Post
Well, it's no secret Monica is living from her opponents' UEs and I don't consider this a bad thing at all, as she is really doing some imaginative and tricky stuff to do so and not only running everything down.

I only don't like reducing Monica to her defensive skills, because she surely can do more than that.
Exactly. This is very important. I am also not surprised to see Monica leading this list. But what needs to be remembered is that there is a reason players make a lot of errors against her. And it isn't just that she keeps the ball in play. A lot of defensive players do that. In fact there are numerous players on the tour who make fewer errors than Monica and are at least as good at keeping the ball in play.

What makes Monica tough is that her forehand underspin slice is a shot that generates a way above average ratio of errors against most players. Indeed against some players that ratio is so big it is practically off the chart. And hitting a slice with that much underspin requires at least as much skill as blasting a groundie down the line at 100 mph. But when the stats get written up the points Monica wins with her underspin slice go down as unforced errors by her opponent while the powerhitting shots of another player go down as winners. But in truth both shots won the player their points, just in a different manner.

Last edited by Shvedbarilescu : Apr 28th, 2013 at 09:00 AM.
Shvedbarilescu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote