TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

View Single Post

Old Apr 24th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #2195
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
"Catastrophic" seems like quite an exaggeration to me assuming they actually did say that in relation to Caro and her results. An actual example of such a huge dropoff comes from Ana Ivanovic who at one point dropped out of the top 60.

I don't care much about Caro's sponsorships. Caro's made enough money to be financially set for life already so losing sponsors doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
Catastrophic may be an exaggeration, but it's easy to see why Adidas probably are not at all happy. Even some of their actions have pointed to this, wasn't she supposed to be signing an extension last year that seemingly never got signed? Diversifying the Stella range. Right now Kerber is giving their brand better exposure, and she's probably on maybe 10% of the money Caro is. I know we've discussed this before, but in my mind it's clear Caroline is meant to be Adidas' brand player. Instead the top of the womens game is saturated with Nike branded players, which is probably an even bigger kick in the teeth.

I imagine Caro still cares about losing a big chunk of sponsorship money, even if she is in theory set for life already. Probably worse is the decline of her stock, there is less interest in her. On the one hand you could say it's a good thing to make her focus, on the other hand I doubt she enjoys playing matches at big events on parking lot court 2.
ozza is offline View My Blog!