TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Biographies of Female Tennis Players

View Single Post

Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 08:29 PM   #2450
country flag LKK

LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice LKK is just really nice
Re: Biographies of Female Tennis Players

BARTOSH, ESTHER (nee Esther Mae Hare)
United States
Born 07 December 1901
Died 25 March 1978 in Los Angeles, California
Married Gerald "Jerry" Bartosh, before July 1929, divorced by 1940 census.

She was Californian, and won Pacific Northwest Championships in 1936 (RU '39), Wisconsin State Championships 1935, Utah State Championships 1938, Canadian Champs. 1936, RU Southern California Championships 1934, RU Tri-State Championships 1934, RU Colorado State Championships 1940, RU La Jolla Summer 1931, RU Washington State Championships 1936 '39

She often played the Mixed with her husband.

Son Ben (or Benny) Bill born 14 May 1931.

An anatomy teacher at University of California Los Angeles, she was usually listed as Dr Esther Bartosh. Best known as a coach, she was instrumental shaping Bobby Riggs, the 1939 Wimbledon champion. Mrs. Bartosh didn't treat tennis seriously until she became a practicing M.D. - working for the city health department forced her to be on call or within easy reach of a phone for the bulk of her time. She explained: "Because of that I wasn't able to play golf as much as I had been and in looking about for some sort of recreation which would leave me constantly near a telephone - that situation led me to a tennis court."

Sources:
Court Hustler, by Bobby Riggs with George McGann. 1973

Last edited by Rollo : Jun 17th, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
LKK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote