TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Maria's problem against Serena Williams

View Single Post

Old Apr 14th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #42
country flag MiiMo

MiiMo is a splendid one to behold MiiMo is a splendid one to behold MiiMo is a splendid one to behold MiiMo is a splendid one to behold MiiMo is a splendid one to behold MiiMo is a splendid one to behold MiiMo is a splendid one to behold MiiMo is a splendid one to behold MiiMo is a splendid one to behold MiiMo is a splendid one to behold MiiMo is a splendid one to behold
Re: Maria's problem against Serena Williams

I am not sure the problem comes from her spin or whatever, in rallies she is able to overpower Serena but is just mentally unable to close things up at the net. It is terrible, it feels like she is affraid of that side of the court while it is exactly what she needs regarding her serve and her power in general. There is no secret, she HAS to shorten rallies against Serena because the longer the rallies gets, the lesser her chances of winning the points are. Serena has this ability to always find a weird but killer shot even when she is not in a balanced position, she can counter attack anyone and especially Maria.
I cannot understand why her coach and even herself never thought of playing more to the net, in variations, with slice and dropshots (she's got wonderful ones but barely use them). Remember her match against Henin at RG 2010, she was serveless and yet found a way to win a set and lead the decider by rushing to the net and playing overall really clean volleys with few mistakes in that departmemnt.

World Number One : The One and Only One

PS : Haters gonna hate

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/UpdateWTA
MiiMo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote