TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

View Single Post

Old Apr 10th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #1944
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Thanks for the info;my guess is that Caro knows some basic "tourist German" for whenever there's a tourney there....or else she just speaks English since normal,educated Germans are usually no worse than passable in that tongue(Kerber being an exception;you can understand what she's saying,but her vocabulary is pitifully limited."Play my best tennis" are 4 of the 50 words she seems to know).Can't recall how often Caro has done promo work at German tourneys,but I imagine that she's more popular than the majority of players there...even though--according to German posters--women's tennis has scant popularity in Deutschland
German used to be mandatory in Danish Elementary schools from 6th grade. It isn't mandatory anymore but most people in Denmark have had at least a couple of years of education in German language. I'm quite sure Caro would do ok, and she could certainly read a speech written in German. For some reason I also think that Polish people are generally better at German than English (I'm thinking of her parents) which may support my case that Caro would be fine in German. But I could be wrong.

Germany is a big country (compared to Denmark, not Mexico!) with a huge population, but with very little coastline - less than Denmark's. So hundreds of thousands of Germans go to Denmark each summer to enjoy our beaches and our freezing water And there's a whole bunch of Danish people - especially in Jutland - renting their houses to Germans each summer while the Danes go to Greece or Spain. Because of this extensive tourism, the Danes often speaks German fluently (in Jutland, that is). I've had a couple of years of German myself (in elementary school, never after that). I can understand everything in German; I can follw any German movie without subtitles (bring on Fassbinder or whatever); I can read books in German. But speaking or writing isn't so easy.
angliru is offline View My Blog!