TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

View Single Post

Old Apr 10th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #1942
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
When was Miami not ultra slow? It's been that way for years as far as I can remember.

Cincy has traditionally been one of the fastest courts in the US Open series (faster than the US Open much of the time) although last year it didn't seem as fast to me. The US open has seemed slow to me the past two years. What's your impression of the court speeds in the US Open series?

The courts in Istanbul seemed too slow to me for Caro's game when she played the YEC there in 2011.
It was always slow relative to the tour in part due to the humid conditions. But Miami from 15 years ago would probably be seen as fast nowadays, they have followed the example of most of the tour of slowing down the court further in more recent years.

There is no doubt they are slowing down all the hard courts these days. Cincinnati is the fastest, but again it is probably in part due to the conditions, it's nearly always blistering hot in Cincinnati. I think it's ashame what the US Open series are doing these days, I thought they use to pride themselves on being fast hard courts. But it's quite clear from what they did at last years US Open where it was clear even on TV that Arthur Ashe was a lot slower than Armstrong and the other courts, that they have followed this policy of putting down a slow court to try and get top 4 semi finals on the ATP side. The problem is if the US Open slows down, the warm up events in turn have to slow down otherwise the players complain they are bad preparation for the US Open.

What I think is worse is where events are now using differing court speeds between courts (the centre court and the other courts), this is just further stacking the deck in favour of the top players who are always playing on the centre court.
ozza is offline View My Blog!