Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Topic....Anything Goes vol4

240K views 5K replies 106 participants last post by  James 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Time for a new volume!

#3,381 ·
I am a huge Venus fan and I used to like Serena too, but after that disgusting behaviour of Serena in the final, I will now be rooting for Sharapova whenever she plays against Serena. Just sayin' :)

Reactions: Tech1
#3,387 ·
:lol: at your hand blocking the Gold winners in the Mixed :oh:

#3,390 ·
Reactions: Fighterpova
#3,401 ·
I'm from NI. You can imagine the one-liners that have been floating around...
But tbh I've never been into the whole catholic vs protestant thing.

She did do some good actually although that said a lot of the good was for the upper-class.
She does get blamed for shit she didn't do but a lot of her policies are still reeking havoc today.

She was truly brutal, but I suppose the great shame is that's what it took for a woman to get where she is, and it still would take that.
Although because of how brutal she was, there won't be another female PM any time soon.

#3,404 ·
Very big pang of the "sads" to hear about Maggie Thatcher's passing. This liberal vs. conservative crap has got to STOP. So So so so so so so sick of this divisive crap in society. Enough with the haters and freaks on both ends. Am I wrong, or do most normal people have everyday views that can be labeled "conservative" on some things and "liberal" on others? Is it not a mix for most everyday people. Extremism is great for, maybe, polemic purposes, but not as a lifestyle. Why can't more people be like Maria - elegant and kind in public and a killer where it counts -- being great at your "job"?

Hard road for Maria this clay season, but I think she can take Wimbledon. I pray she does take it. Her or Azarenka, realistically. Please no more Serena. She wins because of some serious hard work and talent, sure, but she mostly wins because these girls are such head-cases and scared to get on court with her. God -- Henin and Clijsters were never afraid of this spoiled brat. Well, they are all spoiled brats, if they are champs, eh?

#3,407 ·
K so don't want to bump the Miami thread, but saw this in GM.

What happened here? Pova seems pissed about losing, but can anyone who saw it confirm? Too many times in the past year, she's seemed relieved to escape with as many games as she did against Serena and resigned to a loss. This time, it feels like she was pissed at losing (her BFF getting a recent win over Serena probably didn't help). And her presser seemed kinda bitchy too but tbf some of those questions were kinda stupid and she was probably over it.

Particularly, this question from the PC:
Q. If you had to play another match and it was up to you to choose a court and had home court advantage, what would you pick?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Against anyone?

Q. Against Serena.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Wimbledon.

Q. Wimbledon?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Uh‑huh.
I don't think she's delusional :shrug:. I'm sure Maria and Hoggy know the match-up would probably work most favorably for Maria on red clay at this point, but she's stubborn. This home court advantage line of questioning is almost insulting, like "well, you can't seem to beat her here or anywhere else recently so where do you think you would have the best chance of sneaking out a win?" Maria's answer imo shuts down that line of thinking and says where she would most like to play and win against Serena. I'm totally OK with this answer in that it shows she's thinking of potential future matches as matches she would want to win and not ones where she wants to avoid beatdowns.

And welcome to the new posters. :)

#3,408 ·
Serena always shakes the umpires hand first with rare exception, it's just one of her superstitions. So when she saw Maria going to shake the umpires hand first she raced for it and then they were both sort of awkwardly in there at the same time, with Maria just ending up shaking his wrist :lol:

It looks awkward as fuck but there isn't much to it.

#3,411 ·
Maria was definitely disgusted with the outcome. She wanted that handshake with Serena and the umpire to go as quickly as possible. Serena tried to give her some complimentary words, but Maria wasn't even looking at her as she moved to her chair in a hurry. She was up a set and break and she knew she was the better player out there for a good portion of the match. And that's not something she had been able to say in years. It was a golden opportunity for her and the way it collapsed so quickly would leave me upset as well.

But Maria now knows she belongs on the same court as Serena. After all of the struggles trying to get her game to a consistent high level after surgery, I think all of the pieces in her game have finally come together. Maria has her confidence back and she knows what she's capable of. You saw that reflected in her press conference with her defiant answers, saying that she will beat Serena at some point and she obviously isn't afraid of playing her on grass, as she chose Wimbledon as the place she'd prefer to battle.

#3,412 ·
She chose Wimbledon as the place she'd like to play Serena? :rolleyes:

Man, I hope Maria's training hard on clay to prepare for a meeting on the surface she has the most chance at actually beating her on. :shrug:

#3,415 ·
Maria isn't even half as good as she was on grass in 2004-2005. I'm shocked she chose Wimbledon, where Serena doesn't even need to play decently to beat everybody. Her impeccable serve does everything!

I'm one of those who never want them to meet, but I agree that it's Maria's best chance vs Serena. She needs to play very very well for two sets without lapses in concentration and a little help from Serena is needed!

#3,416 ·
By the way I'm feeling much better now! Fever is almost gone and blood tests are showing steady improvements. I'm just stuck at home for another week with nothing to do! :lol: I wish there was a tournament where we could sink our teeth into. And no I don't consider that Katowice mess interesting enough :sobbing: I didn't even know it existed! :hysteric:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.